Reactions that are brought on by the stings of insects such as wasps and bees. Venom inserted into the skin by the insects holds inflammatory substances that create pain, swelling and redness for about 48 hours.
A sting in the throat or mouth is hazardous because the swelling can cause obstruction to the breathing. An extreme allergic reaction can arise in response to insect venom, leading to anaphylactic shock.
If the symptoms of anaphylactic shock arise, it is vital that the person seeks immediate, emergency medical treatment. Anyone who is known to be hypertensive to wasp or bee venom should obtain and carry and emergency kit for the self-injection of adrenaline.